Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1999 22:39:52
On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Andrew Brown wrote:

> ...and that /var/db/pkg should be /usr/pkg/db, because that
> way i could share /usr/pkg among systems and get everything i need out
> of it.

I've talked to a few other people about this, and most seem to
agree with this. It's just that nobody's actually tried to do it
yet.

> then again, i also think that it would be really "neat" if i could
> make a symlink that pointed to @ (or some other convenient unorthodox
> character or word that wouldn't likely be used in a "sane"
> environment), and have the *kernel* substitute the @ with the arch
> name (in namei(), if i'm correct (/me is a not a kernel hacker)).
> then i could make bin point to @ on my nfs server and share /usr with
> any netbsd architecture i or you can come up with.  actually...i could
> share everything.  :)

You can do this with amd already, and I know many people who do.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org