Subject: Re: Root .profile
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@netbsd.org>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1999 15:57:15
On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Gordon W. Ross wrote:

> Why not just get rid of /.profile completely?
> If not that, how about a trival one, i.e.:
>
> # slash.profile
> # Note: this is used ONLY in single user mode.  (KISS!)
> PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
> # Don't care about hostname (prolly not set yet)
> # Don't need no stinkin functions! (etc. etc.)
> PS1='# '
> # The END!

Now you're onto something.  One more twist from me though, no /.profile at
all like you suggest, but put together a simple /etc/profile instead of
the empty one we currently have.  It would likely be wise to include logic
to determine '$ ' vs '# ' prompts in case a normal user with /bin/sh
decides to not have a $HOME/.profile

-brian.
---