Subject: Re: Netscape question...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1999 00:54:44
On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 10:29:09AM -0400, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> Or, rather, maybe a more general X question...
>
> How much control do individual X applications have over things like the
> keyboard? Netscape just flipped out on me, and did something odd to my
> keyboard. I wasn't able to, for instance, hit my Caps Lock key and have
> the Caps Lock LED light. Also, I wasn't able to hit control-alt-whatever
> to get to my text-based terminals. This persisted until I logged in from
> another machine and killed the Netscape process. (I had to nuke it, too.
> It didn't die after receiving a TERM signal.)

I think motif is more to blame here than netscape. I've seen this with other
motif apps, and not only on NetBSD (sun/SunOS, Solaris, HPs, ...).
It seems that motif will occasionally grab the X server (I don't know why it
needs this, but ...). If the application crashes or loops while the
X server is grabbed, bad things will happen ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>