Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: sendmail package
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1999 19:20:24
On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 04:55:35PM -0400, Curt Sampson wrote:

> There is no stock file, though one could argue that there should
> be. However, I can't figure out how you were denying connections
> with sendmail, anyway, if it wasn't in your hosts.allow or deny.
> You don't have a `*:*: deny' in your hosts.allow or something, do
> you? (If you do, you can hardly blame that on NetBSD!)

Um... Heh. Close.

ALL EXCEPT fingerd sshd identd:ALL

I hadn't thought of it from that angle.

Anyway, I wasn't *blaming* anything on NetBSD. I was posting a notice for
other folks so they wouldn't get caught. Default deny is fairly common,
after all.

I'm thinking of it like that letters-to-Congress anecdote. Basically, if
I experience it, there's a very large chance that other folks will experience
it too, only without speaking up. My note can be considered to be for them.
<shrug>

My only concern with NetBSD at the moment is my hope that whatever is causing
my machine at work to slowly lock up is found and fixed. If I can't get it
into a reliably stable state within a couple days, I'll be forced to use
another OS. I'd rather not do that, so I'm going to exercise the hell out
of the box with the intent of finding the problem. Another OS may well end
up meaning NetBSD 1.3.3, but I'd still see that as a loss. With the machine
independent nature of NetBSD not a consideration on this Intel hardware, I've
always considered its utter reliability to be the biggest factor in why NetBSD
edges out the others. But then, yeah, I know that this is why we're calling it
ALPHA. Maybe the flaw is in my wanting to base a mission-critical production
server on prerelease code. <shrug> I'd rather be seeing the problem at home
than at work, but whatever. :/

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped