Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1999 11:15:49
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Curt Sampson wrote:

# On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:
#
# > But how does moving cron from /var to /etc make sense when I've just
# > moved named from /etc to /var?
#
# You seem to be confusing the standard NetBSD distribution with your
# personalised edition.

Yeah, you're right about that -- sorry...

#
# I agree that, if you believe /etc/namedb actually belongs in /var,
# that it may make sense to put the crontabs in var as well. However,
# I don't see why the standard NetBSD distribution should run half
# on your method, half on mine. We should be consistent.

Agreed.  Perhaps /var's place in the hierarchy needs to be redefined.
I'm not saying this should be done "my" way, per se, at all, really,
though I can see why one might think this.

I am still of the opinion that user EDITABLE files shouldn't be living
in /etc; moving cron from /etc to /var was, to me, a good move.
Apparently CSRG thought so as well, as evidenced in 4.4 BSD.

[AAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHH!  I CAN'T BELIEVE I TOSSED MY net2 DISTRIBUTION CD!]

um, could someone verify this?

				--*greywolf;
--
Theorem #1:  There are several ways to create a quantum black hole.
    - Butter a piece of bread and tie it, buttered side up, to a cat's back.