Subject: Re: New machine, inetd flakiness...?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1999 13:04:51
On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 12:09:12PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> > This morning, on coming in, I found a couple instances of this in /var
> > /log/messages:
> >
> > Apr  9 16:54:56 satserv1 inetd[167]: pmap_set: 100001 1 17 65534: Undefined error: 0
>
> Hmm.  does inetd.conf contains RPC services?  is portmap running?

Portmap isn't running, but the messages ended up appearing as a consequence
of my trying to log in via ssh. However, inetd itself seemed somewhat hosed,
in that I couldn't telnet in, ftp in, or whatever.

Next up, the machine's console wasn't responding when I sat down at the
box itself to log in. I don't know why this was, and I've seen no indications
of anything in the logs. The machine was for all intents and purposes locked
up. It answered pings, but there was no way to log in at either the console
or remotely.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

PS: I assume portmap isn't required, simply because I'm running without it
at home.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped