Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1999 21:20:23
Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > The idea of a config file saying where ${CRONDIR} is certainly is
> > appealing.  Are you against that?
>
> I really don't see the advantage of that over a symlink.

The symlink means that half the time there has to be some representation
of the data in a place that you don't want it.  Ie, if we chose
/etc/cron as "the place", the /var/cron people need an otherwise useless
symlink in /etc, and vice versa.  To me, this is ugly.  Hmm, as I type
this, another idea comes to mind - what about a command line argument
("-d" seems reasonable) for setting ${CRONDIR} in /etc/rc.conf?  Is this
a win-win all around?

BTW, I'll ignore any argument (unless it's a really good one :) about
a "performance hit" of a level of indirection through the symlink - I
think that's just not worth worrying about...

Simon.