Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1999 08:33:29
Curt Sampson wrote:

> On 6 Apr 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > I believe, btw, that Curt has patches to restrict the size of
> > crontabs. Perhaps, regardless of the move issue, we should slurp them
> > in to the tree.
>
> Ok, that's done. I've restricted it to 256K, as that's far huger
> than any crontab I've ever seen, but is also small enough that a
> single user or even a few users are not going to be able to cause
> trouble.

I'd like to see the size limit configurable somehow.  Take Jukka Marin's
recent case where he want to put 20,000 users on a machine.  The largest
crontab file we have around here is almost 12k, and that seems to be an
exception.

It could be as simple as ${CRONDIR}/config with a line that says
"maxsize: 256k" or something really fancy that keys on user id, group
id, etc and has a total maximum to all crontabs.  I suspect the former
would probably be enough.

Simon.