Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1999 08:22:08
Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > 	/var/crash/minfree
>
> This one I'm not sure about; while it is a permanent config file,
> it's much more associated with /var itself than the general system.
> (That is, the only thing it controls is in /var.)

Umm, it "controls" something therefore it's config data.  By the same
argument, /etc/sendmail.cf only controls stuff in /var...  I'm sure
there's other examples too.

> > 	/var/cron/*
>
> I think it's already clear I feel these should be moved. :-)

Yup :-)

> > 	/var/db/ntp.drift
>
> I don't understand why you feel this file its into the same category
> as configuration files. If you remove this and reboot your machine
> these drift data will eventually be regenerated. And in the meantime
> ntp will work just fine.

It's configuration inasmuch if you're running with your local TOD clock
as a refclock and you can't sync with a higher strata clock.  Hmm, I
dunno of the top of my head whether you can provide a default value for
clock drift in /etc/ntp.conf for the case where ntp.drift is missing...

> > 	/var/db/pkg/*
>
> This stuff should definitely be in with wherever the packages
> themselves are. If I've got a shared /usr and I mount it on another
> machine, I get /usr/pkg/bin/perl and all of it's associated files;
> why should I not get the information that lets me see the version
> with `pkg_info | grep perl', too?

I seem to recall a longish thread on tech-pkg about sharing packages and
the like :-)

> > 	/var/games/*
> > 	/var/mail/*			[*]
>
> These are certainly not long term configuration information.

When was the switch to "long term configuration information"?  I thought
the argument was about /var containing "multi-purpose log, temporary,
transient, and spool files" (from hier(7)).  Games score files don't fit
this category.

> > 	/var/yp/[domain]/.ypservers
>
> We should think about this one.

Something like /etc/yp/servers with lines containing
	<domain> <servers...>
comes to mind...

Simon.