Subject: Re: make install and includes vs. domestic
To: Chris G. Demetriou <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 21:43:26
On 8 Apr 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> Oh, i don't think even 'generate the tar files' would be
> _particularly_ easy.  (I think i know how i'd try to solve it, but
> that doesn't mean it's easy.)

Well, not as easy as falling off a log, but I hope it's not a
tremendously difficult problem, either. Basically we just need to
set up a different ${INSTALL}, that would maybe be a command for
a version of pax that lets you specify the uid and gid of the file
you're adding to the tarball.

> If we're dreaming about a perfect world, however, we should have vivid
> dreams, and i think that doing the install tools are part of them.
> 8-)

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: