Subject: Re: make install and includes vs. domestic
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 17:36:13
Curt Sampson <> writes:

> On 7 Apr 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> > should be able to say "make" once
> > and have it produce a complete set of binaries without installing
> > anything....
> Right. In fact, it should produce all of the install sets, with
> correct permissions and owners on everything in those tarfiles.
> There's no need to have root to produce that.
> The install tools may be more difficult, though....

Oh, i don't think even 'generate the tar files' would be
_particularly_ easy.  (I think i know how i'd try to solve it, but
that doesn't mean it's easy.)

If we're dreaming about a perfect world, however, we should have vivid
dreams, and i think that doing the install tools are part of them.

Chris Demetriou - -