Subject: Re: Moving crontab to user's home dir
To: Ronald Khoo <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 19:30:35
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Ronald Khoo wrote:

> Protect users from being burnt by editing the crontabs directly: just
> make /etc/fron/tabs non-user-searcheable...

This does not make the file un-editable. And you can't just hope
that the user won't edit his crontab; if he can, you must assume
he will, and deal with it. I don't think this can be dealt with
without turning into a huge tangled mess; if you feel it can, please
give a detailed description of how the implementation will work
and how it will deal with the various sorts of errors that are

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: