Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 17:40:43
On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 04:57:21PM -0400, Curt Sampson wrote:

> > 	/var/db/pkg/*
> This stuff should definitely be in with wherever the packages
> themselves are. If I've got a shared /usr and I mount it on another
> machine, I get /usr/pkg/bin/perl and all of it's associated files;
> why should I not get the information that lets me see the version
> with `pkg_info | grep perl', too?

I agree with this completely.

On a related note... I do "pkg_info | grep whatever" a lot, and I expect
that everyone else does too.

Why not have pkg_grep, aka

pkg_info | grep -i $1

or something like it as part of our standard package tool set?

Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped ((   from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore