Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 16:57:21
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> 	/var/crash/minfree

This one I'm not sure about; while it is a permanent config file,
it's much more associated with /var itself than the general system.
(That is, the only thing it controls is in /var.)

> 	/var/cron/*

I think it's already clear I feel these should be moved. :-)

> 	/var/db/ntp.drift

I don't understand why you feel this file its into the same category
as configuration files. If you remove this and reboot your machine
these drift data will eventually be regenerated. And in the meantime
ntp will work just fine.

> 	/var/db/pkg/*

This stuff should definitely be in with wherever the packages
themselves are. If I've got a shared /usr and I mount it on another
machine, I get /usr/pkg/bin/perl and all of it's associated files;
why should I not get the information that lets me see the version
with `pkg_info | grep perl', too?

> 	/var/games/*
> 	/var/mail/*			[*]

These are certainly not long term configuration information.

> 	/var/yp/[domain]/.ypservers

We should think about this one.

cjs
--