Subject: Re: pwd_mkdb
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 17:32:34
On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 01:21:50AM +0900, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
> In message <19990223180718.A1866@pyy.jmp.fi>
> 	on Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:07:18 +0200,
> 	Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> wrote:
> > > One idea is incorporating "-u" option for pwd_mkdb(8) from FreeBSD, you
> > > can only update the record for the specified user with "-u" option.
> >
> > How difficult would it be to implement this option?
> I think it's not so difficult.  pwd.db and spwd.db are hash type db(3)
> files, and db(3) support changing on record of it.
>
> I think "-u" option is valuable to implement.

Is there any hope of seeing the -u option in the near future?

There's this NetBSD system which is expected to have more than 20,000
users soon and the user information (passwords etc.) is constantly
changing and even though I increased the cache of pwd_mkdb to 16 MB, it
still takes about 10-15 seconds to rebuild the database (even though
there are only <10000 users on the system at the moment).

Thanks,

  -jm