Subject: Re: bootblocks
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 10:54:27
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> "Patrick Welche" <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> > I think you did install the NetBSD bootblocks to the beginning of the
> > NetBSD root partition. The question is, did you re-install os-bs? I am
>
> That's not needed. OS-BS lives in the MBR, and the NetBSD boot blocks
> live in the NetBSD partition. You can reinstall NetBSD boot blocks
> over and over without ever touching your boot manager.

Exactly - the point here was that as I understood it, the disk was dd'd
across => what was in the MBR wasn't necessarily pointing to the right
place anymore, but the NetBSD boot blocks had been reinstalled => no
problem there. It still seems to me that the NetBSD boot blocks still
don't get executed, and it is OS-BS that would try to. Otherwise, all
that's left is to look at fdisk and disklabel -r output...

Patrick