Subject: 1.3.3 -> 1.4_ALPHA
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 01:47:37
Hello,

I just thought, I'd share my experiences at upgrading 1.3.3 to 1.4ALPHA
by compiling the 1.4 source. This was on i386.

I started with a fresh install of 1.3.3 and then linked /usr/src to the 1.4
sources, supped on 4-4-99.

First one should compile the new kernel and I tried this. This aborted
because of a warning in sys/kern/vfs_getcwd.c (see my previous post
some days ago).
I compiled the offending file without -Werror and finished making the
kernel.

Booting new kernel.

Then I used Nathan's (nathanw@MIT.EDU) instructions on what to do
before a make build:

>make && make install in usr.bin/xinstall
>make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/texinfo
>make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/ld
>make && make install in usr.bin/lex
>make install in share/mk

The make install did not work in the texinfo directory as some destination
dirs were missing. These dirs can be made, I found out later, by doing
a "make distrib-dirs" in /usr/src/etc.

I started make build and it stopped after the first few source files with
a warning. I still used the gcc 2.7.2.x from 1.3.3.

So I did a "make depend && make && make install" in gnu/usr.bin/egcs.

The next make build stopped when making the mbr sector, I think in
sbin/fdisk. objcopy was missing.

make depend && make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/binutils.

The next make, iirc and haven't forgotten something, went through, and
I now have an 1.4_ALPHA installation :-)

So, to summarize what is needed, one should do

make install in share/mk
make distrib-dirs in etc
make depend && make && make install in usr.bin/xinstall
make depend && make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/texinfo
make depend && make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/ld
make depend && make && make install in usr.bin/lex
make depend && make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/egcs
make depend && make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/binutils

(I always do a make depend before the make, don't know whether it's
needed, but I feel better with it...)

maybe this messages helps someone trying to do the same...

regards,
chris