Subject: Re: make install and includes vs. domestic
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1999 20:49:43
Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au> writes:
> I can't comment on domestic because that's naughty and I can't look in
> there.  But, this raises something else I've thought of every now and
> then...
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Alistair's ${SU_CMD} for pkgsrc was a _marvelous_ idea - with "priv"
> (and probably with some of the other root-privilege-giving commands)
> it's way cool and requires no extra interaction.  Whether it scales
> for "make build" as joe-ordinary-user is another thing ("Enter root
> password: " for _each_ call to ${INSTALL} - yech :-)...

That may be a good idea for a temporary step to make the problem less
annoying, but as far as i'm concerned the entire need to install
_anything_ while building the system from scratch is losing.

if the build system were 'Right', on a random machine which could
cross-compile netbsd binaries, you should be able to say "make" once
and have it produce a complete set of binaries without installing
anything....  That's one step beyond just 'Good', which is that you
could build an entire new system without installing anything.  (that'd
also make compiling upgrades much better.  8-)

cgd