Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1999 22:59:04
On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 02:55:54PM -0700, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, David Maxwell wrote:
> # Why was /etc/rc.conf created? Because it consolidates configuration
> # into one place.
>
> This is a straw man.  /etc/rc.conf consolidated stuff that was
> in /etc to begin with; moving /var/cron to /etc does not address
> even the same kind of issue.

No, it's not exactly the same type of change, it's consolidating files
in one directory, instead of consolidating files in one file.

> # hier(7) says
> # /var/    multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files
> # Which doesn't fit semi-permanent user-configuration files.
>
> If I understand that the trend is toward not having to back up /var,
> then mailers will be required to offload mail from /var/mail.  Not
> something I relish having to do.  my /var/mail/$user files are pretty
> permanent.

I've said before that my arguement has nothing to do with not backing
up /var. I certainly feel the need to backup mailboxes, and would feel
the need to backup things like print jobs if I had enough of them.

> What about /var/crash?  I'm not entirely sure which of the above categories
> it would match.

Aside from minfree, I'd count /var/crash contents as 'transient'.
There's no reason to keep them long term, and if you lose them,
it's not a major loss.

> What about /var/pkg?  If that goes away, that's not exactly trivial
> to replace.  I'd hardly consider it in any of the above categories.

I don't have a /var/pkg. What's in yours?

> .../var/named?  Unless you put your named configuration someplace else.
> I moved it out of /etc because I didn't think it belonged there.

Mine are in /etc, it's config data.

> .../var/yp?

I don't use/care about yp, but I suspect it's config data.

> And crontabs are not semi-permanent.  They are there.  They exist.

By semi-permanent, I mean that they are not static, like /sbin/init,
but are not constantly changing, like /var/spool/mqueue. I find
crontabs to be very much like password file entries. (in terms
of comparing properties)

> Could we please leave /var/cron there?

Here's my question. If a non-Unix person went looking for cron's
config files, what would make him think "/var! That's where it'll
be!" ?

> WRT the read-only root thing, that's great for embedded systems, and

That was my point. For such a system, if it can live with a static
/etc/passwd, it could probably live with a static /etc/cron.

> Alternately, maybe we should just make /etc its own filesystem if we're

I'd like to see how that could work. (sarcasm). Please tell me how
/etc/rc* and /etc/fstab would be handled.

> going to just sit and kvetch over Yet Another Matter of Opinion; otherwise we
> ought to just leave it as is.  I've watched it move from /etc/crontab
> (root only) to /var/spool/crontabs to /var/cron/tabs to all sorts of other
> places.  To move it back to /etc is folly, IMVHO.

I haven't seen any explanation for why it was moved from /etc in the
first place. Anyone?

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,