Subject: Re: setting the clean-bit in a RAID 0
To: Paul B Dokas , Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1999 10:53:12
Paul B Dokas writes:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Greg Oster wrote:
> >
> > > RAIDFRAME: protectedSectors is 64
> > > raid0: Component /dev/sd0e being configured at row: 0 col: 0
> > >          Row: 0 Column: 0 Num Rows: 1 Num Columns: 2
> > >          Version: 1 Serial Number: 100023 Mod Counter: 183
> > >          Clean: 0 Status: 0
> > > /dev/sd0e is not clean!
> >
> > Gack.  Clean bits don't mean a whole lot for RAID0, so perhaps
> > the error message here is a bit bogus..
>
> Hmm, that's true.  Perhaps the message just needs to go away for RAID 0.

I've left the message in for now, a) to be consistent with the other RAID
levels and b) to avoid special-casing RAID 0 in that chunk of code.
(I may change that later though..)

[snip]

> caligula# raidctl -i raid0
> Initiating re-write of parity
> raidctl: ioctl (RAIDFRAME_REWRITEPARITY) failed: Invalid argument
>
> I've done this before.  It makes to difference.  The clean bits have
> not been set.

Doing the above will now succeed trivially, and will set the clean bit for
RAID 0.  It's not the worlds most elegant solution, but it'll certainly
suffice until I get a chance to revisit the issue...

Later...

Greg Oster