Subject: Re: Another vote to pull up /src/sys/arch/m68k/m68k/db_trace.c 1.24
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/1999 20:55:56
On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 06:19:13PM -0500, Rob Healey wrote:

> 	Been reading -current or its equivalent since before the Amiga port
> 	was sync'd to the main tree; i.e. Markus Wild's original port work.
> 	Since I'm reporting it I DID figure it out for myself and am wondering
> 	why such a dependancy is in the initial bootstrapping when it doesn't
> 	strictly need to be and may trip up those less familiar with the
> 	historic build process.

Please define bootstrapping, then.

The supported method of "bootstrapping" a new OS version is installing the
release binaries.

The supported method to track -current is to rebuild daily, and even then, you
need to follow closely instructions provided on the current-users mailing list.

Fineprint:

Some 2 years ago, there was a discussion about this. The common
bootstrapping cases (handling changed *.mk mfiles) has been added
to the "make build" target, but there are more subtile update
dependencies that often are in one direction in one case and in
the other in the next case, so it was felt that making build fully
automatic is not possible at all, and people should be required to
read and follow instructions on current-users instead.

I, personally, agree. Brainware is much more flexible and intelligent than
a set of Makefiles.

Regards,
	-is