Subject: Re: setting the clean-bit in a RAID 0
To: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/1999 10:47:45
On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Paul B Dokas wrote:

> Anyone know of a way to mark the RAID as clean?  I've RTFM'd and tried
> lots of different raidctl commands.  None have managed to set the clean
> bit.

I now have a raid 0 as you do, and a raid 1. By comparison, I gather
that the clean bit only applies to the raid 1. After a power failure,
the raid 1 comes up "not clean" until parity is rewritten, and then
afterwards it's OK. This makes sense. It's the raid 0 case that needs
rethinking.

Perhaps `raidctl -i', on a raid type 0, should simply set the clean
bit in the underlying partitions and return without error?