Subject: Re: Recovering from /usr loss
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/1999 08:16:00
On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> > Uh, what installation disk? :-) Like many sparc systems, mine has
> > neither floppy nor CD-ROM.
>
> Not even a floppy _port_ where you could temporarily plug in a drive?

Oh, it does have that. I just don't have a floppy drive handy.

> btw, for sparcs, netbooting should be equivalent to an installation
> disks, right?

Yes. Assuming you have a machine to netboot from.

All of this stuff was easily available where I installed the machine,
but is not so easily available to me now.

In the end, I'm just pointing out a situation that ftp and gzip
would have gotten me out of quite handily, but they weren't available.
And I'm asking if they perhaps should be available on /bin by
default.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.