Subject: Re: Recovering from /usr loss
To: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1999 12:52:36
Thilo Manske wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 03:01:01PM -0400, Curt Sampson wrote:
> [...]
> > out how to get out of this situation now. There's no gzip binary
> > in /bin. Even if someone makes one for me, I can't get it because
> > there's no ftp binary in /bin. Nor can I get and install a miniroot
> > or something similar for the exact same reasons: that requires gzip
> > and ftp.
> >
> > So how do I get out of this with the things that are provided in
> > /bin and /sbin?
> There's pax in /bin. (at least in my /bin...)
> If I'm not totally wrong:
> pax -z -v -f <filename> <=> tar xpvzf <filename>

nope...the above requires that gzip exist somewhere.  i was stuck in a
very similar situation 2 weeks ago (i managed to blow away my /usr before
saving a copy of gzip b/c i thought pax would work...much to my not
complete surprise, it didn't work).  fortunately, i run netbsd on a mac,
and i could redo the install from the macos side.  if sysinst were working
at the moment, i could have used that, tho.

later.

colin