Subject: Recovering from /usr loss
To: NetBSD-current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1999 15:01:01
The /usr partition on my Sparcstation 20 started developing some
bad sectors at the end, so I tar'd and gzip'd it up to another
disk, made it smaller, and newfs'd it. Unfortunately, I can't figure
out how to get out of this situation now. There's no gzip binary
in /bin. Even if someone makes one for me, I can't get it because
there's no ftp binary in /bin. Nor can I get and install a miniroot
or something similar for the exact same reasons: that requires gzip
and ftp.

So how do I get out of this with the things that are provided in
/bin and /sbin?

If I can't, does it seem reasonable to add ftp and gzip to /bin so
that it's easier to recover from such situations?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org