Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/1999 11:52:52
On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 10:38:01PM +1000, Robert Elz wrote:

> I'm much prefer if we could gradually move all commonly updated files
> away from /etc (and the basic root filesys), so those who want it can
> make /etc into a long term static filesys - read only, even on cdrom or
> prom or similar (and yes, that means moving /etc/passwd as well, though
> that will be a major upheval).

The idea of root is to have a minimalist partition that contains a functional
system, isn't it? I don't see how we can have anything vital moved out of it,
personally. If folks want to have a read-only root, they'd ought to do what
you're suggesting and use symlinks. I strongly feel that our default should
have *all* machine-specific configuration information in /etc. I'd think it's
saner to be able to back up and restore easily and force folks who want stuff
like read-only roots to use symlinks than it is to have configuration in-
formation distributed across several filesystems while making it harder for
folks who want to centralize important information to do so.

Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped ((   from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore