Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/1999 22:38:01
    Date:        Thu, 1 Apr 1999 21:58:29 -0500 (EST)
    From:        Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>

  |     /var/cron/log	->	/var/log/cron

Please do this one.

  |     /var/cron/tabs	->	/etc/cron/tabs

from later messages its clear you really mean /var/cron -> /etc/cron

The question there is whether you end up making /var/cron a symlink to
/etc/cron, or whether I end up making /etc/cron a symlink to /var/cron.

I'm much prefer if we could gradually move all commonly updated files
away from /etc (and the basic root filesys), so those who want it can
make /etc into a long term static filesys - read only, even on cdrom or
prom or similar (and yes, that means moving /etc/passwd as well, though
that will be a major upheval).

  | This bugged me enough that I hacked in a fix for it; in my updated
  | version crontab now checks the file to make sure it's no larger
  | than 256K, and generates an error if it is.

On one of my systems that helps only if / is ~400Mb big (with the vast
majority of that reserved for the crontab files that will probably never
arrive).   I like / small - like 15-20Mb.   (On the other hand, a /var
of the order of several hundred Mb is perfectly common, and that doesn't
include /var/log or /var/spool typically - most of it is /var/mail).

But as I said above, one extra symlink in /etc is what difference this
would make in real terms.    Just as for you, one extra symlink in /var
is what it would take to move it your way from thecurrent /var/cron setup.

kre