Subject: Re: /etc/rc critical filesystem mount changes
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1999 08:03:58
On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Take a diskless box with an mfs /var/tmp. I'm actually using
> a number of boxes set up this way.

What between the mount_critical_filesystems and the mount -a uses
/var/tmp? In other words, is /var/tmp really a critical filesystem?

Oh, BTW, I'm not really sure that /var/tmp on MFS is a good idea;
generally /var/tmp is thought of as something that will persist
across reboots. Vi's post-crash file recovery, for example, depends
on this. But I think you probably know this already.

> Wouldn't it be an acceptable compromise to split critical_filesystems
> into eg critical_filesystems_beforenet and critical_filesystems_afternet?

I'd prefer to split it into "critical filesystems" and "critical
filesystems that must be mounted after the network" so that we
don't have to move, e.g., /usr from one to the other based whether
it's a local or remote FS. That appears to me to be just one more
manual thing that the computer can do automatically.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org