Subject: Re: /etc/rc critical filesystem mount changes
To: NetBSD-current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1999 07:35:43
On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> We _used_ to do things that here here with Ultrix "diskless" clients.
> The root f/s was NFS mounted, but /var was on local disk...

But / is not a critical_filesystem (in the strict sense that rc
uses that term); / is mounted before any critical filesystems are
are mounted. So this will not cause any problems in that situation.

The functionality we have lost is that you cannot have a local
filesystem in the critical_filesystems list that mounts on top of
a remote filesystem in the critical_filesystems list. Such a
situation is really rather odd, and I'm not convinced that we really
need to support it, since nobody's come up with an example of a
situation where it's obviously the right way to do things.

If we do need to support it, I'd suggest we add a second variable,
critical_filesystems_after_network or something similar (I wouldn't
object to a shorter name) that will hold just those filesystems.
(I will add this if the consensus is that I should.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org