Subject: -current install trouble
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1999 21:58:13
I'm trying to install netbsd-current (March 30 sources) on a Gateway
Solo 2000.  This is a laptop, which has a removable bay for a floppy
or a CDROM (the machine requires a reset after swapping).  So far,
I've run into two problems:

(1) When I tried to build and use a floppy distribution set, I
    discovered that the .tgz files have grown since the last time
    /usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/arch/i386/md.h was editted -- which
    meant that it did not bother pulling in all the chunks needed to
    build valid .tgz files.
(2) Later, I tried an ftp installation (having brought the laptop home
    to where my build machine is).  Unfortunately, this isn't working
    either:  the laptop has a 3COM EtherLink III PCMCIA card, which appears
    to probe as "ep1", but when sysinst turns it on, it doesn't work;
    the little light on the ethernet connector blinks and nothing
    happens.  (Almost nothing; it seems to transmit an ARP
    identification packet, but I don't know if it transmits anything
    else, and it certainly does not appear to receive anything.  This
    might be broken hardware, I'll swap it for something else
    tomorrow...)

It seems that there ought to be a better way of collecting fragmented
tgz files than enumerating all the numbers from aa to a built-in
limit; perhaps sysinst could simply read floppies until you tell it
that there aren't any more, whereupon it would check to see if there
was at least a contiguous set from aa to the highest fragment seen?