Subject: Re: two hot-swap related questions
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1999 22:56:29
>1) When is if_delref() going to be committed?
>
>I know at one time Jason said he had hot-swap working with his
>Ethernet PC card for which he was writing a new driver (forgot what
>that was).  It sounds a lot like he had a working if_delref()
>implementation at that time.  Am I incorrect in assuming that?  Or if
>I'm not, what's preventing it from being committed?

It's been committed already! :-)

It's on a CVS branch right now, and it sorta works, but has known bugs.

I was the one who this task has fell to.  Yes, I've been a slug; I've
slowly been getting my life back in order so I won't be such a slug.
It's on my list, _but_ if you want to help, then please contact me
(this goes for anyone, BTW).

>2) Is anybody working on hot-swap support for USB devices?

My understanding was now that we have config_detach(), we now have a
reasonable way to do this.  All the USB code needs to do is use it ...
Lennart?  (I suspect this is an oversimplification).

--Ken