Subject: Re: loopback filesystem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js.ne.mediaone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/1999 22:22:31
Andrew Gillham writes:

> Read about 'vnd', or 'vnconfig', and you'll find it.
>
> # vnconfig /dev/vnd0d myimage
> # mount -t whatever /dev/vnd0d /mnt
> etc..

yep, that works fine, thanks. One thing that confuses me is
that running current, i don't end up with a vnd0d partition,
just vnd0a, vnd0b, and vnd0c. Is the vnd0d thing from an
earlier version of NetBSD? The same thing shows up with cdroms
for me. There is a man page that speaks about cd0d or something
and I need to use cd0c or a as I recall.

One thing that messed me up is that the whole "loopback" or
vnode setup is handled in linux by the mount command with
a -o loop=/dev/loop3 or whatever in the mount command line.
This appears to be a good thing to me, in that it allows you
to put entries in the /etc/fstab file, which would not be
possible under the NetBSD system unless one made entries in
an rc file. Possibly of limited utility, but testing out
a cdrom image is what I was looking to do, and the multiple
steps is annoying, although not insurmountable... Yes, I AM
a lazy sort of person...

Anyways, Thanks to those that responded.

--
Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:joe@mediaone.net