Subject: Re: softdep?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1999 11:16:33
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> > * the first stage of our two-stage bootblocks has block numbers of the 2nd one
> > hardcoded into it by the installboot program. You simply can't use a data
> > moving FS like LFS with that.
>
> I see that as a weakness in our bootblocks.  They can't cope with "/boot"
> being moved, either, or with a defragmentation/optimization tool for FFS
> like the ones Seltzer's proposed.

Since this on "current-users", and not "port-i386" (and possibly
some others), you should be carefull what you say :-).  The new pmax
bootblocks (for example) have a FFS implementation in stage 1 and
doesn't rely on an installboot-type program.  The old single-stage pmax
bootblocks could only read a.out kernels, but also had (the same) FFS
implementation.

Simon.