Subject: Re: BSD == NIH
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1999 21:00:24
On Mar 19,  6:42pm, Greg A. Woods wrote:
} [ On Friday, March 19, 1999 at 04:53:36 (-0800), John Nemeth wrote: ]
} >
} >      You have to deal with files located in:
} >
} > /etc
} > /etc/init.d
} > /etc/rc?.d
} > /etc/default
} >
} > You have to modify plain configuration files, scripts, and filenames.
} > And, this is just standard SVR4.  Need I go on?
}
} I really don't believe you're complaing about this.  I thought you were

     I don't really care what you believe.

} trying to mis-represent the state of affairs on SysVr4.  I thought you
} were complaining about the very few subsystems that still had what some
} people might consider "config" files over in /usr/lib and places like

     If you want to add /usr/lib/uucp, etc. to the list, go right
ahead (I don't have a genuine SVR4 machine handy to check things).

} that.  To me having everything all in one small sub-hierarchy *IS*
} having them all in one place!

     "small" is not an adjective I would use to describe the SysV
mess.  There are easily 60+ files that you need to worry about.  Also,
my complaints don't lie just with the number of files, but with the
modification methods as well.

} >  Also, I'm
} > still waiting for the patch I supplied in PR bin/6546 (dhclient vs.
} > Shaw@Home) to be committed.  I spent many many hours pouring over
} > RFC's, code, tcpdump logs, and testing to come up with that patch.
} > The DHCP stuff has been updated several times since I filed that PR
} > and there's no sign of the patch being done.
}
} There's evidence that much more generic fixes are in the works,
} especially in -current.

     Yes, I've been following them.

} Note also that it would appear that for DHCP in particular you'd be much
} better off submitting fixes to the ISC folks than to NetBSD -- they're
} likely to get incorporated much quicker.

     Ted Mellon, a NetBSD developer, is the primary developer of DHCP.
He did give me some hints when I was working on the problem, and I
cc'ed a copy of the patch to him.  I just checked the ISC web site.  I
discovered that the final release of DHCP 2.x is due this month.  I
couldn't find any place for submitting bug reports.

}-- End of excerpt from Greg A. Woods