Subject: Re: command-line editing and "standard" shells....
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1999 16:51:32
[ On Friday, March 19, 1999 at 09:34:02 (-0800), [This is my bacque pas, this is my faux pas] wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: command-line editing and "standard" shells....
>
> The key phrase there is "Once you enable command-line editing".  I think
> some people are trying to argue that command-line editing via the cursor
> keys, regardless of whether VISUAL or 'set -o [emacs|vi]' are set.

I know that.  That's why I explained the issues in my original post.

There's a paradigm shift necessary when you turn on command-line
editing, as there has always been.  It's not wise to force paradigm
shifts on people without warning.  Heck even COMMAND.COM in M$-Win98
doesn't have command-line editing enabled by default.  If you want to
make the decision to enable this feature by default then proceed to the
next step:

In this case there are two alternate and mutually exclusive paradigm
shifts -- one to the land of vi, and the other to the land of emacs.  If
you're willing to take responsibility for choosing between those
alternatives, then please be my guest and make the choice!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods