Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1999 12:02:41
In message <199903190723.XAA16362@cue.bc.ca>, John Nemeth writes:
>     BSD, is a standard in its own right.

Please advise where the standard is defined.  For instance, if two vendors
of "BSD" systems (say, FreeBSD and NetBSD) disagree, how do I tell whether
either of them is wrong?

>I personally, don't give a
>d*mn about POSIX, especially where it conflicts with BSD.

I personally like the POSIX idea a lot, because it saves me work.

>Where there
>is a conflict, I want BSD to come out on top.  If I wanted a system
>that was POSIX first and others second, I would be using Linux.

I wouldn't.  It's irritating to work with, and for reasons other than "POSIX"
vs "BSD".

I really like the idea of NetBSD being a system where someone who doesn't
know anything specific about it, but is familiar with Unix, can pretty much
sit down, read a few man pages, and be ready to use the system.

-s