Subject: Re: vi changed for the worse??? (or broken?)
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1999 08:33:22
On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 08:26:01PM -0800, Michael Richardson wrote:

>   ESC O A is an arrow key. Is it possible that your TERMCAP changed?

I suppose the question is whether or not the -current termcap changed within
the last couple weeks, since I wasn't experiencing this behaviour with a
build from the beginning of the month.

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 03:34:40AM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:

> The way vi distinguishes between these characters being cursor keys
> and them being individual commands is by intercharacter timing (this
> is a really terrible way to write a user interface).  Anyways, what
> this means is that you have a termcap that specifies the usage of the
> latter set of characters.

Eek. Um... So, vi looks to see if there are arrow key definitions in the
termcap, and does this funky intercharacter timing check if it sees entries
for arrow keys?

The odd thing is that arrow keys worked fine in vi with the older termcap.
It was able to interpret arrow keys *and* use the commands I've mentioned
without delay.

<boggle>

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped