Subject: Re: BSD == NIH
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1999 04:53:36
On Mar 19, 12:18am, Greg A. Woods wrote:
} [ On Thursday, March 18, 1999 at 21:02:20 (-0800), John Nemeth wrote: ]
} >
} > nice to use.  One of the things I really hate about SVR4 is that
} > configuration information is spread all over the system (not to
} > mention the wide differences in the various SVR4 implementation).
}
} "Spread all over"????  What the heck are you talking about?

     You have to deal with files located in:

/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/rc?.d
/etc/default

You have to modify plain configuration files, scripts, and filenames.
And, this is just standard SVR4.  Need I go on?

     With NetBSD, on the other hand, pretty much all the changes are
confined to plain configuration files all located in /etc, with most
of the changes in /etc/rc.conf.  Also, there are very few files
located in /etc that aren't configuration files.

} Sure some of the various sub-systems weren't cleaned up and re-organized
} nearly so much as some people might have liked, but if you're
} specifically speaking of the system start-up scripts then you're way out
} of line.

     Bull!  I've admin'ed pretty much every version of SVR4.  I'm well
aware of what its like.

} >  I wish more things would be put into rc.conf.
}
} No need to wish -- write code!  UTSL!

     Unfortunately, I have way too much on my plate at the moment, and
so tend to only deal with things that affect me directly.  Also, I'm
still waiting for the patch I supplied in PR bin/6546 (dhclient vs.
Shaw@Home) to be committed.  I spent many many hours pouring over
RFC's, code, tcpdump logs, and testing to come up with that patch.
The DHCP stuff has been updated several times since I filed that PR
and there's no sign of the patch being done.

}-- End of excerpt from Greg A. Woods