Subject: Re: BSD == NIH
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1999 00:18:55
[ On Thursday, March 18, 1999 at 21:02:20 (-0800), John Nemeth wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BSD == NIH
>
>      Maybe not, but I like it.  It fits in with the BSD way and is
> nice to use.  One of the things I really hate about SVR4 is that
> configuration information is spread all over the system (not to
> mention the wide differences in the various SVR4 implementation).

"Spread all over"????  What the heck are you talking about?

Sure some of the various sub-systems weren't cleaned up and re-organized
nearly so much as some people might have liked, but if you're
specifically speaking of the system start-up scripts then you're way out
of line.

As for "wide differences in implementations", well, what do you expect?
UNIX International didn't last long enough to do anything much more than
get the initial porting base out the door, and they certainly didn't
have the resources to ensure that every licensed vendor folded back onto
one common source base.

In any case *NONE* of what you said (or I said in reply! ;-) has any
bearing whatsoever on what's being discussed.

>  I wish more things would be put into rc.conf.

No need to wish -- write code!  UTSL!

--
							Greg A. Woods