Subject: Re: command-line editing and "standard" shells....
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1999 15:37:18
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:19:17 -0500 (EST)
 woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) wrote:

 > /bin/sh and /bin/ksh both support cursor keys.  Once you enable
 > command-line editing, cursor keys work.  PD-ksh currently has the
 > advantage because setting 'EDITOR' and/or 'VISUAL' to some string that
 > stars with either "vi" or "emacs" will automatically select and enable
 > the desired command-line editing mode.

Yah, I have to override this, personally.  I'm a die-hard vi weenie,
but I like ksh to use emacs key bindings :-)

In addition to being quicker to use on the command line, emacs key bindings
also allow you to use filename completion; the ESC key puts you in command
mode if you're using vi bindings, sigh.

 > In real Ksh Version M-12/28/93f, which anyone running NetBSD/i386 or
 > NetBSD/sparc can download for essentially free and run, I've not yet
 > been able to get the cursor key bindings settings to work, though they
 > should work according to the manual page:

Ahh, I remember, in the days of NetBSD 0.9C -> 1.0 or so, I had a fairly
good number of NetBSD/hp300 systems running in the university computer
lab... and we had a DIE-HARD ksh weenie in the office... who used to heckle
me to no end about how he'd rather use the Sequents than the hp433s on our
desks, because they had REAL KSH.

Thankfully, we had a Solaris 2.3 source license; I ended up porting
AT&T ksh to NetBSD, and had native NetBSD/hp300 ksh binaries... I might
even still have one lying around on my hp380 at home :-)

o/~ Memmmoreeeeeees.....