Subject: Re: command-line editing and "standard" shells....
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1999 03:22:37
[ On Thursday, March 18, 1999 at 08:16:26 (+0100), Ignatios Souvatzis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: command-line editing and "standard" shells.... (was: CVS commit: src)
>
> Eeek.
>
> You definitely want username completion in roots
> save-the-system-when-it-is-hanging-because-NIS-is-botched shell. Definitely not.
>
> Did you ever try to login to a tcsh account when the !(/"%!(" Solaris ypserv is
> busy serving somebody elses request?

Oh, I'm distantly familiar with NIS headaches, and I can imagine the
problems!  Hung NFS mounts are just as bad or even worse...

OK, then, that's what I'd call a 100% cured concrete reason for changing
root's shell from /bin/csh to /bin/sh (and for leaving username
completion out of both sh an ksh! ;-).

--
							Greg A. Woods