Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1999 03:56:37
On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 05:44:02PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:
>
> > [I forgot to suggest a little heresy in my previous mail, BTW.
> > Why not just put tcsh and bash in /bin and be done with it? Sure,
> > they fit in well as packages, but they are so commonly used and shells
> > are nice to have static and available. It would add about ~10% to the
> > size of a distrib root filesystem.]
>
> I'd vote we make the tcsh and bash packages install into root, rather than
> pull them into the distribution. That way they're package-ized (you don't
> want it, you don't get it, you pkg_delete, it's gone) and in /bin. They'd
> be compiled static of course. :-)

Well, that would certainly be workable.

However, it complicates the issue a bit. Should all of pkgsrc/shells/*
then put static binaries in /bin or should tcsh and bash be special-cased?

My point with just integrating tcsh and bash was mainly that together
with {sh,csh,ksh} they would provide a 'good enough' selection of 'system
shells' that other shells would be satisfied as good citizens in /usr/pkg/bin .

[Another thought: has anybody tried running with ksh-for-sh and tcsh-for-csh?]

--
Soren