Subject: Re: PAM
To: Brain fried. Explanation is in file \"core\". <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 14:58:44
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Brain fried.  Explanation is in file "core". wrote:

# Dustin, I have a question for you.  Since BSD!=ATT in any shape or form,
# "standards" notwithstanding, what does NetBSD hold for you that, say
# Linux doesn't?

	Please, it's not coming to this is it?  I use many different
systems.  One that I do not run is Linux.  My first taste of NetBSD was
after a castrophic failure with a Linux machine that had all my important
information on when I left for a weekend, and had a useless filesystem
when I got back.  Fun things like directories that magically changed into
domain sockets and stuff like that.  I also noticed how suddenly I didn't
have to keep up with *very* different command sets.  netstat does what I
want, same as all my other UNIX systems, you don't have to route your LAN
over a device that's connected to it, etc...  If nothing else, the value
of having ``I run NetBSD'' mean something (vs. I run Linux which means
very little when it comes to software compatibility, at least it did
then).  Have you ever been in a bookstore and discovered a book called,
_The_Design_and_Implementation_of_the_Linux_System_?  No, the reason they
develop so fast is because the implementation comes first.

	Either way, I don't understand the resistence to change.  You have
something offered that can improve things, make more software run here,
etc...  There are possible problems, but that's why there's design review
first.

--
SA, beyond.com           My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>