Subject: Re: WSCONS color question
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 12:29:11
In message <199903171938.UAA0000011823@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>Matthias Drochner writes

>There is support for 16 colors in the vt100 emulator and
>the VGA device driver.

Just from curiosity, what happens if i enable the vt100 emulator on a
one-bit monochrome unix-workstation-vendor display, and then ask to
use colours?

>This limitation was for a reason: VGA allows to chose the
>meaning of one attribute bit to be either the fourth bit of color
>selection or to select from 2 character sets (or both, but this
>is nonsense normally).

>A VT100 emulation which wants to display all the DEC special
>graphics and so can't do this with only 256 characters, so
>pcvt has chosen to sacrifice half of the color space.

>The former is default, but you can choose the latter for
>better ASCII art support (per screen). (which makes only sense
>if you load a font containing the missing VT100 characters and
>if the kernel actually understands the font mapping)

Um, why is the screen size hardcoded into the name?  Won't that cause
even more unecessary woes when we add support for reprogramming VGA
text modes to use different screen sizes.  Or will the wscons design
not support this at all?