Subject: Re: authentication stuff
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 10:50:40
In message <Pine.SGI.3.95.990317093954.5426D-100000@bleu.west.spy.net>, Dustin
Sallings writes:
>On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Olaf Seibert wrote:
>
># Well, if we do that sort of thing we should go the whole way, with
># either PAM or that FreeBSD thing (forgot how it's called).
>
>	FreeBSD uses PAM.  You mean the BSD/OS thing.  :)

No, FreeBSD also has login.conf.

OGIN.CONF(5)             FreeBSD File Formats Manual            LOGIN.CONF(5)

NAME
     login.conf - login class capability database

SYNOPSIS
     /etc/login.conf, ~/.login_conf

DESCRIPTION
     login.conf contains various attributes and capabilities of login classes.
     A login class (an optional annotation against each record in the user ac-
     count database, /etc/master.passwd) determines session accounting, re-
     source limits and user environment settings.  It is used by various pro-
     grams in the system to set up a user's login environment and to enforce
     policy, accounting and administrative restrictions.  It also provides the
     means by which users are able to be authenticated to the system and the
     types of authentication available.