Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 22:18:16
>        This is why I like the SysV.  I think that's *MUCH* too general. I
>want rc.apache, rc.squid, rc.pageserv, etc...  I want these to be able to
>not only start things, but stop them.  I want to be able to have packages
>install in such a way that they can safely add startup scripts, and
>even...take them away.  rm is certainly a pleasant way of disabling a

Personally, I can live with fat granularity much, much better than I
can deal with /etc/rc.conf.  rc.conf is inherently unmaintainable.

You install a machine, you set up rc.conf for your local settings, and
then when a new release (or snapshot) comes out it changes the syntax,
changes the names, or simply adds a whole bunch more options.

Result: if you upgrade, you have to re-do all the local configuration
in /etc/rc.conf from scratch.

In that regard, I dont see how its really any better than a monolithic
/etc/rc.conf. Except maybe that the list of stuff to scan and merge
is smaller, by moving the config flags into rc.conf.

IMHO a `clean' solution to this problem means either separate files,
or a way to robustly mark `stanzas', to slurp out a given (modified)
stanza from an old rc.conf, and drop the modified stanza in as a
replacement for the same `stanza' in a updated rc.conf from a newer
distribution (while leaving other stanzas unmodified)....