Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 23:17:57
What a lively discussion :-)

1. Principle of least surprise
BSD for some time, and NetBSD (forever) have shipped with a root shell of
csh. If we're going to change defaults we should have a good reason.

2. Utilitarianism
I don't know anyone who uses /bin/sh as their primary shell. I _do_ know
some people who use /bin/csh as their primary shell. Those who prefer the
sh stylings, (or who dispise the csh's linguistic limitations) are likely
to install bash, ksh, etc... (etc is NOT a shell! ;-)
For the basic user, csh provides more interactive nicities than sh. IMO.

3. The single user /bin/sh argument
/bin/sh is the default shell in single user mode (or, the suggested
shell at least) likely because singleuser mode is meant for performing
low-level system maintainence. The system is running in a limited
fashion, and /bin/sh makes very few assumptions about what may be available.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,