Subject: Re: BSD == NIH
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 11:14:24
In message <199903161702.JAA05466@Cup.DSG.Stanford.EDU>, Jonathan Stone writes:
>     ``defend[ing] doing things differently from the rest of the world'',

>it's just doing things the way BSD does them.  FreeBSD and OpenBSD use
>csh for root.  For a BSD system, *changing* root's shell to /bin/sh is
>being gratuitously incompatible; not the other way 'round.

I'm not sure "the way BSD does them" is necessarily an important thing.
After all, we have 'rc.conf', which isn't, historically, the way BSD does
it.  The question is, what are the advantages of which shells for root?

I rather like root having the same shell I get in single user mode.  I
suspect the reason it doesn't is that 'csh' can be caused to set a sane
path default on 'su', but 'sh' can't.

-s