Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 09:35:09
[replying to nobody in particular]

So, it sounds like just about everybody is agreed that toor should go
away, but everybody has their own favorite shell.

Personally, I don't see that it matters what shell root has by
default, because (IMHO) a competent sysadmin will customize the
majority of the things in /etc when the system is first installed.
When I put together a new NetBSD system, I cd to /etc, ls, and
consider changing each file I see there.  I'm already deleting ingres
and falcon, and changing operator's shell to /sbin/nologin; why is
deleting the "c" in root's shell that much of a pain?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a hunch there's a huge
silent majority on this issue.  In other words, it doesn't
particularly matter.  Set the shell to whatever you want, and it'll
get changed.

Given that, why not go with historical precedent?  <shrugs apathetically>

Chris

(who just *had* to speak up for this alleged silent majority.)

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu