Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: wscons virtual screen configuration
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1999 21:42:19
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de wrote:

> The idea behind that is that "wsconscfg" does global settings
> which are done at startup or by root. "wsconsctl" does local things
> for the user logged in to a particular virtual terminal.

	Sounds reasonable.

> Font loading is a global/root thing, and from that point it
> could be done by "wsconscfg" as well. The reason I made it a separate
> utility is that the arguments are completely orthogonal - it would
> look strange in a manpage to have eg
> '-e means "encoding" if a font is loaded, and "emulation" if a vt
> is configured'
> or a number of '-x does exclude -y' in a manpage.

	Hmm, '-e' seems the only one that currently conflicts, so you
	could use -E for font encoding. (I agree a modal flag would
	be a bad idea).

	Alternatively you could rename -F to -D in wsconscfg, and then
	have all the font related flags prefixed by '-F':
	'-Fw width', '-Fh height', '-Fe encoding', '-Fn name'.
	Hmm - that really does feel like its embedding one program inside
	the other.

> Ideas for a better user interface are welcome of course.

	I don't know if either of the above constitute a better interface,
	but I think I'd prefer some way to merge wsfontload into
	wsconscfg.

		David/absolute

	Abandoning a syncing disk... or syncing an abandoned disk?